- 400 g white wheat flour
- 300 g water
- 100 g active rye or white wheat sourdough starter
- 8 g fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Being Co. charcoal powder (add more for a darker colour)
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of Being Co. charcoal powder in 300 g of water. Add 100 g of sourdough starter and mix by hand. Next, add 400 of flour and mix all ingredients until they come together. Cover the bowl with a kitchen cloth and let the dough rest for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, you will notice the dough has relaxed a little bit. Add 8 g of salt and knead the dough for 5 minutes so it becomes stretchy.
- Leave the dough in the bowl for another 3 hours at the room temperature (if it's too cold, you might put the bowl in a slightly warm oven). Cover the bowl with a kitchen cloth to prevent the surface of the dough from drying out.
- In the meantime prepare the bread pan and flour it well.
- Knead and shape the bread.
- At least 30 minutes before baking preheat your oven to the maximum temperature of your oven.
- Add dough to bread pan.
- Bake the loaf for 20 minutes with a cover on at 240°C/465F°F and 20-25 minutes with cover off at 230°C/445°F and until bread gets nice golden colour. Cool on a cooling rack before cutting.
Image credit: @nododonuts using our Being Co. Activated Charcoal Powder.